Tuesday, June 14, 2016

‘TULI’ AS RITE OF PASSAGE

By Philip M. Lustre Jr.
(Author's Notes: I wrote this piece a year ago, i.e. after my grandson had his circumcision. Since summer is now here with us, I feel that this article should be reposted for better understanding of an activity usually reserved for summer. This is for my new friends.)  
TWO WEEKS ago, I took my 11-year-old grandson, Philip, to a medical surgeon to undergo the mandatory circumcision. I did not have a hard time convincing him that his circumcision was the right thing to do before he reaches puberty.
To his credit, my grandson was mentally prepared to face the tough task. No, he did not back out of the surgical procedure. 

His mental toughness could be the product of my frequent prodding, as I kept on telling him that it would be his future kids, not him, who would suffer the consequences of being uncircumcised.

It has become an urban legend of the sort that kids of uncircumcised fathers have eyes full of mote, earning the unpalatable tagged as "anak ng supot" (scion of an uncut man). 


I told my grandson about it and I believe he believed what I told him.

The surgeon dutifully briefed my grandson about the procedure, he asked him if he was ready and my grandson immediately nodded and said yes. 


After telling him about the dos and don'ts of every newly circumcised kid, the surgeon gave him anesthesia shots, which my grandson Philip stoically endured.

While the doctor did the circumcision of my grandson, I could not help but recall the same procedure I had in the summer of 1965, or 50 years ago. 

I just turned 11, when my mother took me to a neighborhood doctor, who did the "German cut" on that little extension of my manhood. He did the procedure in his clinic.

Until now, I consider myself lucky to have a medical doctor to attend to that rite of passage. 


In parts known or unknown, kids of my age had the traditional "pukpok" or "palampang," where a neighborhood a quack did the procedure with a sharp razor or knife, as the cutting instrument and chewed guava leaves as antiseptic. These were places where the doctors' presence was wanting.

The surgical procedure lasted nearly two hours. Afterwards, I went home as if nothing had happened, although I walked with visible slowness because of the surgery, which took place right on the middle of my entire body.


I momentarily lost my physical agility and resilience, so typical of prepubescent kids, but I had no regrets because I knew I had everything to gain after the procedure. 


I felt I was a changed prepubescent guy. I felt I had gained the booming self confidence of a newly cut young man.

But my circumcision was not a smooth sailing process. A day or two, my penis was a swollen mess. 


In brief, it appeared like a tomato, or "nangamatis" as we say it in Tagalog. 

My playmates said that its swelling could be due to the fact that the female members of our household saw my newly cut manhood.

It has always been an urban legend that newly cut guys should keep their manhood hidden from the prying eyes of the female household members, as their unrestrained view could lead to uncontrolled swelling, or "pangangamatis."


My grandmother, the typical consintidora, who raised me as a kid, saw my predicament. She could not endure seeing my discomfort. 


She took the matter into her hands and immediately lent me one of her prized possessions - her half slip. 

I dutifully wore her half slip for the next three or four days to prevent further infection.

My Grandma's half slip was very helpful for my adjustment. 


The problem of newly cut every guy is the hypersensitivity on the head of the penis (or dickhead). Its exposure arising from the procedure is something a newly cut person has to live with. 

No I never felt I had an incomplete circumcision, or what most young guys call "sungaw." I saw the doctor cutting the excess foreskin and stitching the wound.

I passed my circumcision rite with flying colors. 


When school opened, I walked beaming with self-confidence. 

Why not? 

I had my bragging right as a newly cut young man. I did not feel I was a playful boy anymore but someone who was more of a pre-teener.

In contrast, most of my classmates during those days were uncut. 


They were subsequently called "supot," an unsavory tag they had to endure until they had passed their own rites of passage.

Going back to my grandson, the procedure was a tantalizing success. 


Although Philip had some anxious moments during the procedure, he managed to endure it with astonishing stoicism. 

I immediately took him home after his surgery but not without his antibiotics and pain relievers.

A week after his surgery, I took him to the doctor for follow-up examination. The surgeon was pleased to see that the healing was taking place quite rapidly. 


Philip asked many questions, which the doctor patiently answered.

My grandson is now a young man circumcised. He has passed the rite of passage. He will surely punch the nose of any guy of his age, who would call him "supot." 


Having a circumcision is an exercise in the assertion of one's manhood .

No comments:

Post a Comment