Friday, July 29, 2016

MY FIRST DRINK, SMOKE

By Philip M. Lustre Jr.


I'd be very, very honest with everybody. Lest somebody think I was a paragon of virtue during my formative years, I am going to say in all candor that I wasn't. I drank; I smoked; I gambled.

But I have no regrets. This would probably set me different from the rest of the world. I didn't regret learning any or all those things.

I learned smoking at 15. I was in third year high school when, from out of the blue, I bought cigarettes. Perhaps, it was an impulse. Perhaps, I was starting to assert my own distorted sense of masculinity. 
From my meager allowance, I bought several sticks of Marlboro, which was then a brand of choice during those days. I liked the taste and, henceforth, I smoked for a while.

I tasted different brands: Lucky Strike, Spud, Newport, Chelsea, Piedmont, Ice Cold, etc. Later, I took brands like Philip Morris, Winston, Hope, More, and the imported ones - Salem, Union, Chesterfield, and Pall Mall, which dominated the market. I stuck to Marlboro like a leech.

When I was about to finish my college education, I developed a smoker's cough, which became a throat infection. Like Scarlet O'Hara, who, in the movie "Gone with the Wind," vowed she would never get hungry again, I threw my lighter and cigarettes into a garbage bin and vowed that I would never get that throat infection again. I have been a non-smoker for more than 40 years.

Just like any other guy, I learned drinking in high school. I was in third year, when my friends in fourth year introduced me to the "spiritual world." Tanduay (or lapad) was our drink of choice, although we weren't averse to Ginebra San Miguel (or bilog). 
We used to mix Ginebra with beer to concoct the so-called "virgin.' This was the forerunner of Red Horse or Colt 45, which are now the stronger mix.

My fourth year high school friend was my drinking buddy. His family owned a restaurant in front of our school and he invited me several times to their place to drink. I was told that my friend is now a Christian pastor, who performs ministerial works abroad. We have yet to have a reunion.

I also gambled during my high school days. From those small bets during our rounds of billiard games with my classmates, I graduated to what you could call the bigtime. 
Together with some adventurous characters in high school (especially those from the other high school in UST), I went to sakla and pula-puti joints and did some betting. I almost lost my shirt during those brief sojourns.

I also joined my classmates to San Lazaro and bet on our favorites racehorses. Later, when bomba films became vogue, we went to Malabon to watch bomba films - all in the name of adventure and fun. I always manage to smile every time I recall those halcyon days.

I didn't know how I survived those adventures. Perhaps, I knew my goals in life. Perhaps, I wasn't destined to destroy my life. Perhaps, God loves me. 
I still drink with close friends once in a while and place a modest bet on my favorite racehorses. But I'm happy that I didn't become a smoker, a heavy gambler, or an alcoholic. I am none of the above. 
In hindsight, which is always 20/20, I am deeply convinced that God loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment